Library Creative Writing Contest
Enter the JBPHH Library Annual Creative Writing Contest
Short Story & Poem Divisions
June 1 - July 15: submissions accepted
July 16 - 22: triple-blind judging
July 27: winners announced on the JBPHH Library Facebook group
Children: ages 6-10
Young adults: ages 11-18
Adults: ages 19+
- Participants may submit one short story and one poem. Entries must be original, unpublished works. Short stories and poems must be typed and double-spaced on an 8 ½” x 11” document, font size 12. There is a 12-page max limit.
- Entries must be PDF or Word documents. (No Apple Pages, please!)
- Only title and page numbers (not entrant’s name) may appear on manuscripts and poems.
- Entrants must be registered patrons of the JBPHH Library.
How to Submit Your Entry
- Email your story and/or poem and the completed entry form to email@example.com (No in-person submissions, please!)
- Entry forms may be submitted as a photograph or you may scan the entry form and submit a PDF.
- Parents or guardians of entrants under 18 are requested to submit their children’s completed entries and forms.
- Entry forms are available at the Library, or they can be downloaded from this page.
NEX gift cards will be awarded in all divisions and age categories.
- 1st place: $30
- 2nd place: $20
- 3rd place: $10
Entries are judged based on content, originality, language usage, and quality of expression. Each submission will be reviewed by three judges. Time permitting, winners will be notified by phone prior to public announcement.